Thursday, October 23, 2008

Shake It Like A Salt Shaker!

We are still reeling from all of that juicy good news yesterday! I think we have told everyone that we have run into about the good news...I mean EVERYBODY! and every time my mom tells people she cries...tears of joy, of course, and then she gets me going and then she gets the other people going. Tears of joy, I can assure you.
Anyway, although we have had some of the best news that we have had in months, we are still not drama free. The medi-port started bleeding again last night so off we went to the hospital bright and early this morning. They seem to think its probably the old blood from the hematoma on the outside of the port. My mom seemed satisfied with that answer...we are just going to keep an eye on it...a close eye.
After our excursion at the hospital, we hopped on over to Dr. Paroly's for the standard CBC test. Just a refresher, the CBC stands for Complete Blood Count test. The CBC is used as a broad screening test to check for various disorders such as anemia and/or other infections. It is actually a panel of tests that include but are not limited to checking the RBC, WBC, Hemoglobin, Hemocrit, platelet count, etc.
It turns out that her platelet count has risen from 73,000 to 243,000! Pretty awesome! The girls, Deanne and Paula decided to check on my mom's "dizzy" problem by monitoring her blood pressure in the different positions...laying down, sitting and standing. Well, they figured out that not only was her low platelet count and low blood sugar count attributing to her dizziness, bit she also may have something called Orthostatic hypo tension. It is a form of hypo tension in which there is a sudden (less than 3 minutes) fall in blood pressure that occurs when a person assumes a standing position, usually after a prolonged period of rest. Its kinda like a head rush or dizzy spell. They have given her specific instructions about how to get up, seriously. She is being a good patient so far concerning that, I swear, but she wasn't at first! So, her prescription for this new ailment is (unfortunately it isn't more cowbell) is to be very, very slow when changing ANY position and to keep an elevated salt intake as well as drink some Gatorade. This is much harder than you can imagine! My mom is very stubborn and she doesn't like the Gatorade. She is getting used to it though...actually I think she is just tired of hearing me squawk at her.
Well, I'm outta here...it's hot and I'm tired of sitting here with this computer on my lap.

Keep up the good work everybody!!
and keep your fingers crossed for a speedy and very, very, very, very, very lengthy remission!


hugs
xx

"When there is no peril in the fight there is no glory in the triumph."
--Pierre Corneille

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are such a good nurse. I'm not a fan of gatorade either but I have to drink it here to keep my sodium up but its fattening so it kinda sucks all around. I get the Kiwi-Strawberry, put it in the freezer til it almost gets frozen and its tastes like a slushie. The colder the better..otherwise you do taste the salt...yuck!
Have a good night, relax and stay cool..

hugs,
Aunt Nancy

NOMORECANCERNOMORECANCERNOMORECANCERNOMORECANCERNOMORECANCERNOMORECANCERNOMORECANCERNOMORECANCERNOMORECANCER

Anonymous said...

You are a wonderfull daughter, good job sister! I am so excited its gone and shrinking, the power of love and peace can make the body heal! I love you all lots!
I send lots of Healing and some Aloha Spirit across the pacific.
XOXO Sista Trista